Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Nettings Do NZ - Week 5

This week involved some changes to Kensley’s sleep routine.  She has successfully dropped to two naps a day – as long as we are home.  If we are out and about she just naps away in her stroller or car seat whenever she wants.  Tonight is also her first night out of her bassinet!  We both feel quite sad for her because her bassinet has literally travelled all over Ontario and now New Zealand with us and has really become her little safe space.  As soon as I put her down in her new [travel] crib, she looked up at me with the saddest little eyes and started screaming.  There were some extra tears, cuddles and feeds for bedtime tonight but she has been asleep for a few hours at this point…so fingers crossed she doesn’t struggle too much throughout the night (or nights to come).  The next change to come for her will be solids, which I think she will enjoy a bit more.  She has begun watching our food closely and practices chewing away now; it’s so darn cute.  She is getting stronger each day in many ways but specifically with sitting up and her grip strength; she is grabbing ahold of things and swinging them around now. 

Our week was filled with our typical things – work and workouts for Caleb; walks, runs, lattes, and cooking for Kenz and I.  We also had Julia and Lucy (mom and baby from blind date a few weeks ago) over for lunch on Wednesday, which was super fun!  Wednesday night, I got out (woohoo) for dinner with Mary (Caleb’s colleague from Ireland).  We went to an amazing restaurant, Inati, which is known for sharing plates.  We decided to indulge and do the tasting menu: chef’s choice of sharing plates with wine pairings.  It was truly amazing (minus the pig tongue – totally not my thing but I did try it).  I loved the food but I really can’t say enough about the amazing New Zealand wines we tried.  I even tracked down a bottle of one of the wines today for Caleb and I to try next week because I haven’t stopped thinking about it!   Mary and I are going to try to do this a few times a month.

This weekend, we are invited to Kayla’s boyfriend’s (James) parents (Lyn and Kerry) farm, which is on its way to Akaroa.  Kayla is good friend of Lara, one of my good friends from home.  She is truly a gem!  She picked us up from the airport when we arrived in NZ and waited for us for at least an hour while we tried to get our place sorted out with our letting agent.  On our way there, we stopped at Birdlings Flats; a beautiful opened, flat stoned beach.  I really wish I would have taken more pictures of their magical farm and the views.  They have a large piece of land that spanned a small peninsula with stunning views on all sides.  Truly a dream piece of property that they intend on building their dream home on (to go with their his and hers Ferraris).   Caleb, Kensley and I stayed in this spectacular little cabin behind their house.   Kayla served up some tasty cheeses, salmon and spreads on Friday night as Kerry cooked dinner; roast with delicious variety of roasted root vegetables.  These we perfect for the pinot noir we had chosen this week, Jules Taylor 2016 ($31.99).  This wine was 5/5 for me, Caleb says 4.5/5.  It was smooth, easy drinking and just down right delicious.  Caleb says it had “a rich, dark berry flavor”.   On Saturday, Caleb and I cooked breakfast, and then we strolled around the farm.  Kensley met her first horse (Auntie Autumn will be happy) and Caleb experienced some bee keeping with James (he owns the company Natural New Zealand Honey).  We made our way home on Saturday and stopped at New Brighton Beach for a quick family beach run.  I should note that we made this stop because Caleb had to pick up some more sporting gear.  This weeks purchase…golf clubs!  Stay tuned for next week :P  Actually, I should also acknowledge and give praise to him for also getting me a bike trainer this week.  It is set up with his road bike so now I can, not only run with Kensley but I can bike while she naps as well.  Unfortunately Jaime, no Zwift rides with you yet but someday!  

Today (Sunday), Caleb took off for some New Zealand skiing at Craigieburn Valley Ski Field, which is about an hour and half north west of Christchurch.  He texted me to tell me it was “knarly”.  He says it was a very different ski experience than in Canada; much smaller scale.  Less intermediate terrain, maybe what skiing was like 50 years ago in North America.  Fewer people, more rugged terrain, smaller total area.  Kensley and I met up with Mary for brunch at Hello Sunday Café where I had the best coconut milk latte I’ve ever tasted.  Then we walked around for a few hours because it was so beautiful out!  We've developed a bit of a Sunday night routine that involves: Buddha bowls for supper, then we sit on the couch and I write this blog and Caleb works while we watch Glam Masters (makeup artist competition on Bravo).  Caleb is beginning to think he is one of the judges, remarking and critiquing all of the looks.  

Thats all from this week! Oh, and tomorrow we will wake up with a 5 month old baby :)

This weeks successes:
Momma’s night out
Caleb got out skiing
Kensley is transitioning to a crib
Caleb got golf clubs and I got a bike trainer
Getting to hang out with Kayla
Spending the night with a New Zealand family on a New Zealand farm
The bite of cookie dough mixed with vanilla ice cream that Caleb literally just fed me :P
Just hanging out on a park bench
Loves when daddy gets home from work!
Park hangout selfie










Starting to sit up...and may need her bangs trimmed.






Outside of our little cabin on the farm
Great dinner and wine! (Photo cred: Kayla)
Meet Kayla; she has Kensley on a mini horse saddle
I'm standing far away telling Caleb not to get too close with Kensley
Old school rope tow

The "nutcracker" which lets you grab the rope tow
View of the southern alps from Craigieburn Mountain
Looking back towards Christchurch from Craigieburns

No comments:

Post a Comment