Monday, September 3, 2018

The Nettings Do NZ - Week 6

Well, there is no need to keep suspense…1. What piece of sporting equipment did Caleb purchase this week?  2. How did the transition from a bassinet to crib go for Kensley?   Caleb bought a surfboard this week.  And it was an absolute nightmare trying to transition Kensley!  After two sleepless days and nights, a grumpy baby and a grumpy momma, Kensley is currently sleeping away in her bassinet (which has been placed in her crib).  She was up almost every two hours through the night and was so upset.  I can clearly remember only 2-3 nights in her whole 5 months like this prior to attempting the transition.  She has always loved her sleep and her bassinet.  I guess if she loves her bassinet so much, why kick her out of it?!  I’m ready to cut holes into the bottom of it so she can stay in it until she’s 18 if she wants.  The reality is, she loves her sleep like her momma and doesn’t do well without it.  It made me remember the moments as a child that I would be having a tantrum and my parents would say, “she’s just tired” which would make me even more upset.  Turns out, they were right!  And I’m sure we are in for a similar story with Kensley…but poor Caleb, has two of us to deal with :P.  Actually, he earned super husband points again this week because he knew how tired I was, so he was able to get home early on Tuesday and sent me off on a run then took us out for a late afternoon beer and fries at Craft Embassy!   He sure knows the way to my heart.

After recovering from our sleepless nights, Kensley and I met up with Julia and Lucy for a walk and coffee.  I also got a few rides in on my new bike trainer….which is now, unfortunately, broken.  We had Mary over for dinner on Thursday night.  We had discussed the fun we have been having with our wine tastings previously, so she brought a pinot noir from Marlborough!  This wine was called “Crossings”, 2016 and I have no idea the price because we weren’t really going to ask her what she paid for it, right?!  We all agreed that this wine was really good, “super smooth” and “goes down easy”.  Mary and Caleb give it 4/5, and I give it a 4.5/5.  We had it with a “build your own rice paper rolls” spread (inspired by Elyse and Emily back home).  Friday night, Caleb and I cracked into another bottle, Mahi 2016 ($37.99).  We had it with homemade pizza (yes this is our Friday night thing); one was chicken, pesto, mushrooms and the other was chorizo, feta, sundried tomatoes, and spinach.  I really enjoyed this wine, 4.5/5 (again, yes); it was one of the wines I tried at Inati, which I had to track down last week.  Caleb also enjoyed it, giving it 4/5.  He stated it was “very nice, more spicy than The Crossings but not over the top; a bit more edge but also a bit more flavour”.  He tasted black current.  Since it’s September, we will move onto another region for this month.  Up next: Central Otago Pinot Noirs.  I chose Marlborough first because I recognized this region the most from the NZ wines I’ve seen in Canada.  However, now that we’re here, we have learned that the best pinot noirs in NZ come from Central Otago, so I really can’t wait to try them!

In terms of adventure, this week was pretty low key because Caleb worked all weekend (booooo).  It’s funny that Monday-Friday seem to move so smoothly with just me and Kenz but I’ve really looked forward to and gotten used to having Caleb around on the weekends; so this weekend was a bit lonely and a bit of a bummer!  Actually, Kensley had the biggest adventure of all, as she had her first babysitter (other than family when we were in Ottawa).  To break up my two weeks a little bit, with Caleb working all weekend too, we had a babysitter come over Saturday morning.  Sarah is 17 years old and such a nice girl!  She is Kayla’s cousin (we are so thankful for Kayla!).  Her mom dropped her off so it was really nice to meet her as well.  I hung around the house for the first 1.5 hours to let her and Kensley get acquainted.  She was so good with Kensley and Kenz really took to her, giving her smiles and watching her intently.  I went over naptime routine with her and put Kenz down, then I was able to head out for some me time, which meant a 10k run.  It was perfect!  I’m sure we will be seeing a lot more of Sarah!  On Sunday afternoon, Kensley and I met up with Mary and her friend Jamie (visiting from Ireland) at Ilex Café, which is located in the Botanical Garden.  I really enjoy the adult company J

I mentioned last week that Kensley had started this very obvious interest in food, and it has only progressed.  We have listened to her cues and started a few things (peanut butter, banana, sweet potato, egg, cheese).  I think it’s safe to say that she loves food!  She sits there so happily chewing away.  I’m trying to progress her slowly, as we just ordered a high chair for her and are awaiting its arrival; it isn’t ideal to have her sitting on my lap to eat.  However, she doesn’t really seem to be willing to wait.  She actually stares me down, chews and yells if I eat in front of her and don’t offer her anything.  This has resulted in me literally hiding from her to eat at times.

This week’s successes:

Caleb worked and operated pretty much independently this weekend!
Caleb got a surfboard
Kensley is back in her bassinet (this is definitely her own success and not so much ours)
Kensley LOVES food and has started solids
Kensley’s new toys from Poppa
Kensley had her first babysitter
Kensley’s grandma booked her flights to visit in February

Our 5 month old
Sometimes we find flowers on the ground at the Botanical Gardens




This is what "winning" looks like
After her first nap back in her bassinet

  
Yessssssss




This was fun while it lasted!


Still practicing 
She's getting there!

Loves watching the washer!






    
Not always all smiles

New toys from Poppa!

3 comments:

  1. Loving every word of these blogs!!! They literally make me smile from ear to ear!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading these Megan! We loved the wine in New Zealand and I remember the wines in the Central Otago being delicious (try squealing pig Pinot noir) I also remember the drive and hiking around the Otago peninsula being one of my favorite parts of New Zealand! Glad you are settling in! ❤️ April Gorman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for that one for this weekend! Is that Dunedin area you're talking about or is that somewhere else?
      I would definitely love to hear more about your favourite spots and things you did while you were here!

      Delete