Monday, September 10, 2018

The Nettings Do NZ - Week 7

Going into this week, I was feeling a bit down and lonely following Caleb’s 30-hour work weekend.  I wasn’t surprised by the emotions and I’m sure this won’t be the last time but I succeeded in snapping myself out of it with a little help from Caleb ;).  I’m reminding myself that I’m blessed to be off with Kensley, exploring an amazing country, while my husband works his butt off.  However, I will also be kind to myself and allow a pity party now and again; because as if being a mom isn’t hard enough, I’m now on the other side of the world from all of my supports (Caleb excluded obviously).  As I meet more friends I’m sure (or I hope) that there will be fewer and fewer pity parties.  Interestingly, the day following my pity party, Kensley and I made our way to our favorite spot for our afternoon latte and I got another moms number (woohoo insert new friend, Jackie).  Kensley and I sit at the same table most afternoons and do our thing: me sipping on my latte and enjoying the delicious complimentary little short bread cookie that comes with it (this may be why it’s my fave spot) and her watching the people around us while intermittently smacking her lips to show me she’d like some of my latte and cookie.   This day, a mom sparked up a conversation with me.  She was there with Walt (2 weeks old) and Hugh (3 years old) and the conversation ended with an exchange of numbers and her inviting me to hang out 2 days later!  Unfortunately, I had to decline but we will try to meet up this week!  I know it sounds crazy that I declined but I actually had a walk scheduled with Liz (& Harriet) for that same day.  Since I didn’t write a blog until our second week here, I missed the chance to introduce Liz, Andy and Harriet who we saw for brunch during our first week.  We met Andy (James’ friend) last summer at Lara and James’ wedding.  Yes, they are the ones that introduced us to Kayla too – crazy that they each had a friend here for us to meet!  Liz is Andy’s wife and Harriet is their daughter (~13 months).  They’ve actually very kindly lent us some baby things to use while we are here which has been so helpful in entertaining Kensley!   Anyways, Liz and I had a great visit and we are hoping to see her, Andy and Harriet during one of the upcoming weekends.

Ok, so what other than my pity party this week!?  Well, Kensley’s high chair arrived and she still hasn’t met a food that she doesn’t like which makes us happy!  She is also still obsessed with her daddy which melts my heart and I know it melts Caleb’s because I heard him telling her how happy her smiles make him!  Kensley is loving playing peek-a-boo (her giggles are the cutest) and also LOVES looking at herself in the mirror.

On Friday, the orthopedic department had a ski day for their team so Caleb made his way to Porter Mountain (ski hill) for the day.  Then, in the evening they had a dinner for everyone and spouses, which took us to Town & Tonic (a restaurant that is about 2k from our place along Hagley park).  This meant our first date night out since we’ve been here (wooohooo!).  Sarah came over and thankfully, Kensley slept the whole time.  I say thankfully because recently Kensley has been waking randomly for evening feeds and I cannot predict when or why, and I wasn’t exactly sure how she would do with Sarah if she woke and wanted a feeding from momma.  Nonetheless, I left a bottle (even though I gave up trying bottles about two months ago).  I’m sure Sarah would’ve handled Kensley just fine if she woke but instead, she  got to work away on her homework (she is seriously the sweetest!).  We had the greatest time being out together and enjoyed some Waipara pinot noirs.  I wasn’t on the ball and didn’t get pictures of the bottles but trust me, they went down very easily!  So easily that we weren’t able to start our Central Otago pinot noirs this weekend because we had to recover. 

On Saturday, after an early wake up and a little tylenol, we made our way to The Boat Shed for our latte bowls and Caleb and I each got a run in while Kensley had her morning nap.  I guess this is a thing that kids do when their parents have a late night: Kensley was up an hour earlier than she ever wakes up – frig!   Anyways, in the afternoon we went to New Brighton, explored the seaside market and had some yummy Malaysian street noodles and ice cream.  Caleb gave surfing a go while Kensley and I cheered him on, walking up and down the beautiful beach.  Unfortunately, he didn’t last long because he needs a hood for his wet suit to keep his head warm, which he has since ordered.  The ocean is cold!  He doesn’t feel he is very good and the board he bought may be a bit small but he also doesn’t have much surfing experience so I’m sure he’ll improve!  When we got home, I figured, we might as well try Kensley with the bottle since we had one prepared for Friday night.   Previously in Canada, I really struggled with her not taking a bottle; it’s all I wanted for a sense of freedom, but that quickly went out the window.  She refused, she screamed, no matter what bottle we tried (late night amazon prime orders), what temperature it was at, or who was giving it to her.  BUT she took this bottle!  Actually she took small amounts from the bottle TWICE this weekend, which is a HUGE HUGE HUGE success to me.  She has become fascinated with my water bottle over the past few weeks and wants to drink from it so I can’t help but wonder if associates the two.  Probably not, but whatever the reason is for this change, I’m good with it!   

On Sunday morning, Caleb, Kensley and I walked to Hagley Park, where Caleb golfed 9 holes (Kenz and I didn’t stay for the game).  He was asking me golf questions during the walk, which had me worried about how it was going to go (I’m NOT a golfer! And neither is he).  He enjoyed the game but thinks a lesson might be in his future.  The golf course is so close and cheap that he can’t resist going while we are here.  Kensley and Caleb then joined and paced me for a 13k run.  Caleb took us along the river towards New Brighton beach, a route I hadn’t done before.  I think this was my longest run in over a year – like since pre pregnancy!  And surprisingly, I felt much better than I was expecting!  This kicked off my training for the half marathon in Queenstown in just less than 10 weeks!  It probably won’t be my best run yet but I’m excited for the training.   It’s definitely becoming more spring-like here so it will make for some good runs!  We celebrated with beer and calamari on a patio following the run.

This weeks successes:
Kensley got her high chair
Caleb skied, surfed and golfed all within 48 hours
I’m committed to a half marathon in Nov
Kensley took a bottle TWICE
Our first NZ date night out
Caleb feels things are coming along at work
Kensley got new sunglasses that she loves!


That’s all from us for this week! xoxo
All smiles for food!
Future ballerina?
Loving her new shades from daddy!
What a girl....
Porter Mountain



Date night!


Some beach ice cream


These two...<3
She can't take her eyes off of him!

And again...<3





Daddy's cheerleaders

Little beach babe



He's all ours!
Our surfer dude
<3

FORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment