Monday, March 25, 2019

The Nettings Do NZ - Week 34 & 35


Week 34 seems like a bit of a blur due to the tragic mass shooting that occurred in Christchurch on Friday, March 15th.   I feel nothing but thankful that we left the city just as the events were unfolding and that had no idea what was occurring until we were about an hour out of town and my cousin Kim texted to check if we were ok.  We picked Kensley up 5 minutes (literally) prior to her daycare going into lock down.  It seems pretty surreal that such a horrendous act could happen in such a gentle and welcoming city.  A city that is still rebuilding (literally) from the tragic earthquake of 2011.  It’s made me realize that these this can happen anywhere – along our daily running route, in an area that I play with Kensley most afternoons.  I won’t over dramatize this because we are safe and I don’t at all think we would’ve been in danger had we been in the city.  However, my heart breaks when I think of the absolute nightmare that these poor people experienced when they were hoping to be in a very peaceful state.  The outpouring of love since this shooting has been non-stop.  A beautiful tribute outside of the gardens with handwritten notes, pictures, flowers, candles, stuffed animals; donations for the families; home baking and meals being delivered to the hospital staff and first responders; the community has really come together.

Onto the happy stuff from that week because there was happiness.  Kensley had her two last settling days at daycare and did well.  She’s having short naps there but it makes sense because the sleep environment is way different: a bunch of other babies with music playing – I think of it as her trying to sleep at a club.  Kensley’s highlight was also more visitors:  her granny and grandpa arrived late Thursday night so she woke up to them Friday morning.  She is happy to have people around and of course, wanted to show them all of her tricks.  They seem to love all of her tricks but I think it was very clear that grandpa’s favorite thing to do is watch her eat;  he’s pretty impressed that she is willing to eat almost everything and quite a bit for a little girl.

We made our way to Kaikoura with granny and grandpa on the weekend, hence why we missed the action on Friday.   Kensley continues to be car sick which really stresses me out.  Anyways, we rented a beautiful AirBnB with ocean views. Caleb took his parents on a costal walk Saturday morning while K napped.  They enjoyed the walk and Caleb’s dad identified at least 12 different birds.    In the afternoon I did a nice costal run and we all went out for a  yummy Indian meal.  Sunday morning we started back to Christchurch early.  Caleb felt like he should help out at the hospital so he made his way in for the afternoon.  Mary was also working on Sunday so she came for dinner and wine that evening.

Onto week 35.  Kensley enjoyed more time with granny and grandpa and her Auntie Autumn arrived.   We had a play date with Lucy and Julia this week and for the first time, Lucy and Kensley played together.  They chased each other around the grass, which was super cute.   Granny and grandpa and Auntie Autumn took off for a road trip so we had a nice weekend at home just Caleb, Kenz and I.  We did our typical boatshed Saturday and had a family day around the city.  Saturday night we had homemade pizza and wine and booked our flights home to Canada for the end of July!  I had mixed emotions in this booking, our experience here has been amazing so it makes me sad to leave but overall, it’s excitement for our next adventure.

On Sunday, Caleb and I ran, City to Surf  - a 14k run in Christchurch.  Caleb tucked away his competitive side and agreed to pace me for the run.  My goal was a 5min/km and Caleb helped me get that!  We finished in 1:08:34 and I couldn’t have done it without my awesome pacer!  I felt myself crashing the last 3-4 km and he kept me going.  I felt much better during this run than the Queenstown half-marathon – it helps that I’m 5 months further post partum and that Kensley wasn’t up 4 times the night before (she slept the whole night).  I wouldn’t say I feel like I’m back to my pre-pregnancy and baby state, but I’m getting there, or I’m getting used to my new normal.   In the afternoon, we had a little early birthday party for Kensley (just Caleb, Kenz and I) by playing in the gardens and having some blueberry muffins with blueberry icing (K’s fave foods). 

This was Kensley’s last week as our baby as she turns the BIG ONE this upcoming week.  She got her 6th tooth this week and LOVES walking with her trolley or the stroller.  She is learning more words: orange, banana, blueberry (ALL OF THE TIME – “BLUEEEEE”), raisins, cheese, Bruce.  She says “night night” when she goes to bed.  She loves being chased and climbing the stairs.   We’ve let her watch a song on youtube called “Five Little Ducks” and she laughs and dances the whole time; I think it’s more entertaining for us than her.  She becomes wild at bedtime and we can barely get her dressed because she’s jumping off of the walls and then as soon as she lies in her crib – she’s out.

Eating a cookie in Kaikoura



Morning sunrise



Checking out the view



Grandpa and Granny



Granny and Grandpa along Kaikoura walk



Memorial wall



Kenz and I trying to spread some LOVE



<3



Christchurch Police also spreading some LOVE - they were giving out donuts on the streets



What raspberries?



Trying out her new birthday boots from Nana and Poppa



Having a horse ride with Grandpa



Hanging out with Lucy



"Look what Dad taught me, Mom"



Kisses for Daddy



<3



Date morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment