Monday, October 8, 2018

The Nettings Do NZ - Week 11

So it’s official! Caleb has purchased his 4th bike in our 11ish weeks in NZ!   And, all good things must come to an end…Kensley’s week of 11-11.5 hour nights has ended.  I can’t complain because waking for a feed means I get to see her cuteness and she goes right back to sleep.  It was another good week over here as we countdown to Poppa’s arrival.  We had a play date with Julia and Lucy and Hannah and Isabel.  Julia had us over and seriously made the best, magazine-cover-worthy rhubarb cake…I’m still thinking about it!  And she sent us home with some rhubarb so we surprised Caleb with a rhubarb crisp.   On Wednesday, Jacqui invited us to “The Gruffalo” walk and a picnic in the park.  I had zero idea what The Gruffalo was (it’s a book) and knew Kensley wouldn’t have a clue what was going on, but we went for the socialization.  It is currently spring break in NZ and this walk was organized as part of The Walking Festival at Bottle Lake Forest Park.  It was super popular (a lot of little people and parents) and super cute!  Kensley and I met Jacqui, Hugh and Walt there along with her parents, Elizabeth and Colin, and her nephew Joshua.  We strolled around the park finding the snake, owl, fox, and the Gruffalo!  Then we enjoyed a little picnic in the park!  It was a really nice day.  Jacqui’s parents actually have friends in Guelph that they have visited a few times so they are pretty familiar with Ontario and Canada, which I thought was cool!  Within 5 minutes, Jacqui’s dad had offered for us to visit their holiday home in the north island on Lake Taupo, which was very kind; hopefully we will make it.  Later in the week, Jacqui facetimed with Caleb and I to help us plan the week in November that we will explore southern NZ with Poppa!  I don’t know how we’ve gotten so lucky to meet such great people but I am so thankful!  Oh and I drove to both Julia’s and Bottle Lake Forest Park which is a huge win for me!  Wednesday evening, Mary and I met at a Spanish restaurant, The Curators, for a girl’s night.  We are totally on the same page so we shared a bunch of different things on the menu so we could taste more; oh and of course we shared a bottle of yummy NZ wine!  I really look forward to these dinners out and Mary’s company! On Thursday, Sarah came over for a few hours during the day to hang out with Kensley.  Sarah kindly let me know that she was off for two weeks for their school spring break and I thought this was the perfect opportunity for Kensley and Sarah to really get to know each other (and give this momma some of my own time).  I went for a killer run (thought I was going to die), came home and showered and fed Kensley, then headed out to pick up some lunch and a latte to enjoy on the grass by the river.  Sarah, babysitter extraordinaire, was even able to put Kensley down for her nap without any tears! 

Friday evening Caleb and I enjoyed our typical wine night: Depth and Finesse Crafters Union Pinot Noir from Central Otago (23.99).  There are sooo many Central Otago wines that we’ve dragged it into October!  Caleb thought this was a “solid” wine and rates it 4/5.  I think we didn’t pair it super well with our nachos and so it likely took a bit away from the wine, it was a bit harsh to me so I rated it 3.5/5 but tonight, I had the remaining glass and it’s up to 4/5 (maybe time? Or maybe just having it on it’s own).  This weekend was pretty low key for us, a run for me Saturday morning and then a mountain bike for Caleb.  Saturday night, we had Sarah come over to watch Kensley once she was asleep so Caleb and I could get out to great little restaurant called “The Monday Room”.  They had an awesome option of chef’s choice that we went with so we got to try a few different sharing plates (and some yummy beer and wine).  We loved the pork belly and the dumplings especially but we were really let down by their peanut, chocolate, raspberry dessert.  You may wonder, how can you go wrong on a dessert with those three amazing ingredients in it – well, you can – it was just a big gooey, peanut butter mess!  On Sunday, I got out for my long run and then we had Liz, Andy and Harriet over for brunch, which was a really nice visit!  Caleb nicknamed Harriet “Hurricane Harriet” because she was super cute running around checking everything out like a typical 14 month old.  They brought a jolly jumper for Kensley borrow which she quickly tried and seemed to enjoy.  I feel we really get along with Liz and Andy and have a lot in common; Andy and Caleb chat away about bikes and boy stuff while Liz and I chat about other, more interesting things.  They are really nice company!  Then Caleb headed out to watch the UFC fight with his surfer bro Michael, for a few hours.

Kensley continues to impress us each day.  She is grabbing her toys and food better.  She loves to eat still and is even trying to worm her way around the floor to get to her toys. 

Happy Thanksgiving to our fam and friends back home!

This weeks successes: 

A new (used) mountain bike for Caleb
Sarah got Kensley down for a nap and we had a babysitter twice!
Mary and I got out for another dinner.
We got out for a date!
Caleb got out to watch UFC
We were able to coordinate a visit with Liz and Andy
I am feeling much better about driving here
Kensley attended her first Gruffalo hunt J

Oh AND GINA BOOKED A TRIP HERE IN MAY!!!!!!

Our little bean



Caleb treated her to the book!




At The Gruffalo hunt



We found the Gruffalo


Picnic with Jacqui and crew


Isabel and Kensley 



Kensley and Lucy 



<3



The ducks come way too close to my baby!



Happy girl!



Loved her first smoothie....wearing it like war paint



All business




April, show Bill: A pic of a bike!


I'm realizing that there are no pics with daddy this week so I literally just took this last one of him and his bike!  Stay tuned - the paparazzi is on it for next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment